This is a staple recipe in my home, something I’ve cooked more times than I can count. It’s rustic and simple but full of flavor and very satisfying.
Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lb Italian sausage Chicken, spicy. About 4 links.
- 1 Onion Sweet, halved then sliced thin.
- 3 Bell peppers Use a mix of colors, sliced thin.
- 28 oz Chopped tomatoes Use a good quality organic for best flavor
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Oregano dried, crushed
- 1 tsp Basil dried, crushed
- Salt to taste
Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sausage and brown. Remove sausages and set aside.
Add the rest of the olive oil, then add the onions and cook until just translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so.
Add the tomatoes and herbs and combine. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove color and salt to taste.
Add browned sausages to pan, nestling them into the cooking sauce. Recover and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Remove cover. Let sauce thicken for 10 minutes or so.
Remove from heat and serve over fresh pasta or a nice crusty Italian bread.